My research areas include social media, FinTech, and machine learning. I am particularly interested in information extraction from text (e.g., user-generated content, qualitative financial disclosure, and scientific articles). I received my PhD from the University of Cincinnati (OBAIS) in 2015, where I was advised by Dr. Michael Fry. I also have an MS in Statistics from Miami University. I am an affiliated faculty member of the Stevens Institute for Artificial Intelligence (SIAI).
- “A Computational Framework for Understanding Firm Communication During Disasters”, with Bei Yan, Chaojiang Wu, Rui Chen, Xiaolin Li, Information Systemes Research, forthcoming, 2023.
- “Stigmergy in Open Collaboration: An Empirical Investigation Based on Wikipedia”, with Lei (Nico) Zheng, Bei Yan, Jeffrey V. Nickerson, Journal of Management Information Systems, 40(3), 2023. [download]
- “Measuring Corporate Culture Using Machine Learning”, with Kai Li, Rui Shen, and Xinyan Yan, Review of Financial Studies, 34(7), 2021. [download] [code] [culture data available upon request]
- “The Role of Corporate Culture in Bad Times: Evidence from the COVID-19 Pandemic”, Kai Li, Xing Liu, Feng Mai, and Tengfei Zhang, Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, 56(7), 2021. [download]
- “Empirical Analysis of Multi-Task Learning for Reducing Model Bias in Toxic Comment Detection”, with Ameya Vaidya and Yue Ning, 14th International AAAI Conference on Web and Social Media (ICWSM), 2020. [download]
- “Operational Efficiency and Patient-Centered Healthcare: A View from Online Physician Reviews”, with Dong-Gil Ko, Zhe (Jay) Shan, and Dawei (David) Zhang, Journal of Operations Management, 65(4), 2019. [download]
- “The Roles Bots Play in Wikipedia”, with Lei (Nico) Zheng, Christopher Albano, Neev Vora, and Jeffrey V. Nickerson, Proceedings of the ACM on Human-Computer Interaction (ACM CSCW), 2019. [download][code]
- “The Effect of Online Reviews on Product Sales: A Joint Sentiment-Topic Analysis”, with Xiaolin Li and Chaojiang Wu, Information & Management, 56(2), 2019. [download]
- “Deep learning models for bankruptcy prediction using textual disclosures”, with Shaonan Tian, Chihoon Lee, and Ling Ma, European Journal of Operational Research, 274(2), 2019. [download]
- “A Big-Data Approach to Understanding the Thematic Landscape of the Field of Business Ethics”, with Ying Liu and Chris MacDonald, Journal of Business Ethics, 160(1), 2019. [download]
- “How Does Social Media Impact Bitcoin Value? — A test of the silent majority hypothesis”, with Qing Bai, Zhe (Jay) Shan, Xin Wang, and Roger Chiang, Journal of Management Information Systems, 35(1), 2018. [download] [data]
- “Model-Based Capacitated Clustering with Posterior Regularization”, with Michael Fry and Jeffrey Ohlmann, European Journal of Operational Research, 271(2), 2018. [download]
- “Supply-Chain Performance Anomalies: Fairness Concerns under Private Cost Information”, with Fei Qin, Michael Fry, and Amit Raturi, European Journal of Operational Research, 252(1), 2016. [download]
- “The Journal of Consumer Research at Forty: A Historical Analysis”, with Xin Wang, Neil Bendle, and June Cotte, Journal of Consumer Research, 42(1), 2015. [download]
- “Database – Market Dynamics and User-Generated Content About Tablet Computers”, with Roger Chiang and Xin Wang, Marketing Science, 33(3), 2014. [download] [data] [code]